Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal and often called “The Gateway to Nepal” and “Gateway of Mount Everest”.?When a visitor comes to Nepal they think of Kathmandu, the first impression they carry on everyone mind is the temples of Kathmandu and its rich culture.
It is said that once there were more temples than houses and more statues than people in the Kathmandu Valley. Some of the most famous temples around the Kathmandu Valley are Pashupatinath, Bodhnath and Swayambhunath stupa. Kathmandu Durbar Square in Basantapur has the medieval palaces and temples. Kathmandu valley has 7 of its heritages enlisted in UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Other than the temples, there are other highlights as well that would sweep you off your feet. If you are an adventurous type, you can indulge in some of the adventurous activities such as hiking and trekking around Kathmandu. Kathmandu is filled with spectacular highlights that put you under a spell. It is one of the most admired cities in the world that are simply appealing.
There are other significant places of interest to be checked out in the city other than its magnificent temples.
Popular attraction in Kathmandu
Kathmandu Durbar Square
Garden of Dreams
Narayanhiti Palace Museum
Pashupati Nath Temple
Attraction in Kathmandu
- One of the most beautiful temples in Nepal, guests are greeted with golden statuary and treated to magnificent walkways with intricate ancient carvings. Hike up to the higher elevations to take in the sunset and make new pals with the friendly monkeys. Swayambhunath Temple is rich with artistry, history and oriental mystery. To make the most of your visit, be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes for the hilly terrain.
- Pashupatinath is the most greatest temple of God Shiva and popualr tourist destination. Though this temple allows only Hindus to enter there are several interesting things in Pashupatinath which will make your visit worthy. Monkeys, dears, beautiful pigeons can be seen around Pashupatinath area.
- You can see lot of devotees with the ashes put around their body and smoking weeds. Pashupatinath is situated on the bank of holy river Bagmati. On the bank of Bagmati River you can see the cremation ceremony.
- When you are in Kathmandu you would not want to miss the opportunity to see the sunrise in Nagarkot. At an elevation of 2,195 meters, it is considered one of the most scenic spots in Kathmandu valley. The golden color cloud with the sunrise makes you feel like you are in Heaven and the spectacular view of Mount Everest makes your visit million dollar one.
- It is strongly recommend get yourself to Nagarkot, one of the premier hill stations, where you will find a hotel for any budget and taste. From Nagarkot, views can be seen right from Annapurna in the west all the way down to Kanchenjunga in the east.
Kathmandu Durbar Square:
- Kathmandu Durbar Square is another tourist place where you must definitely go when you are in Nepal. Enjoy the chatter, bustle and pulse of the city at Kathmandu’s Durbar Square. Feed the pigeons and people watch with tasty treats whipped up fresh from the marketplace.
- Many big cities in Nepal have a Durbar Square which literally means a place for temples, courtyards and palaces. However, this location in Kathmandu is the most prestigious Durbar Square as it is the site where Nepal kings have been crowned for centuries.
Patan Durbar Square:
- Patan Durbar Square is situated at the centre of Lalitpur city. It is one of the three Durbar Squares in the Kathmandu Valley, all of which are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. One of its attraction is The Ancient Royal Palace where Malla Kings of Lalitpur resided.
- Thamel is the gathering point of Tourists in Nepal where I believe every tourist will go once they go to Kathmandu. Here you can witness as many tourists as native people. You can find some good restaurants and good hotels for your accommodation in Thamel. It is worth visiting in Kathmandu.
- Boudhanath stupa is one of the largest unique structure’s stupas in the world & dominates the skyline. As of 1979, Boudha Stupa is a UNESCO World Heritage Site & one of the most popular tourist sites in the Kathmandu area.
- This working monastery is home to a community of monks and nuns. Visitors are welcome to walk the expansive grounds and learn the art of meditation from the experts.
The Garden Of Dreams:
- This luscious botanical garden is situated in the Kathmandu city centre and the best place in town to kick back and relax. The flowing classical architecture is surrounded by colourful flowers, foliage, circular gazebos and plentiful park benches. Swaying palm trees keep the gardens cool and light meals and snacks are also served on the premises.
- The ancient temple of Changu Narayana is located on a high hilltop that is also known as Changu or Dolagiri. The temple is surrounded by forest with champak tree and a small village, known as Changu Village. The temple is located in Changu VDC of Bhaktapur District, Nepal.
- This hill is about 8 miles east of Kathmandu and a few miles north of Bhaktapur. The Manahara River flows beside the hill. This shrine is dedicated to Lord Visnu and held in especial reverence by the Hindu people. This temple is considered as the oldest temple in Nepal. ure.