Mardi Himal Trek
The Mardi Himal Trek is an ideal choice for those of us who are looking for an ‘off the beaten path’ trekking experience in the quieter parts of the Annapurna region of Nepal.
It is the lowest and perhaps the least visited of the trekking peaks in Nepal. While trekking on this route, leading up to Mardi Himal base camp and finally the high camp, we get to appreciate the solitary trails complete with verdant forests, interesting villages, valleys, terraced farms, dazzling rivers and the extraordinary views of the Annapurna, Machhapuchre (Fishtail) and Hiunchuli mountains.
Another benefit about this trekking route is that the trail makes a small circuit up to the base camp of Mardi Himal so that we don’t have to backtrack over the same terrain.
Mardi Himal trek is a short trek in the Annapurna region of Nepal where we stay in teahouses (lodges), try local food, appreciate the excellent hill and mountain landscape; and marvel at the panoramic views of the massive Himalayan mountains including Annapurna, Machhapuchre, Hiunchuli and Mardi Himal.
Departure/Return LocationKathmandu, Nepal
Departure TimeEarly in the morning
Return TimeApproximately afternoon
Day 01: Arrival.
- On arrival at Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, where we receive you with a warm welcome and then transfer to your hotels in the heart of Kathmandu city around Thamel areas, the tourist hub of Nepal.
- At the hotel, you will rest and prepare for your trekking.
- Overnight at Kathmandu.
Day 02: Rest & short sightseeing.
- Kathmandu: After Breakfast sightseeing in Kathmandu (Pashupatinath, Boudhanath, and Swayambhunath).
- We drive with a private vehicle towards our three sightseeing points.
- We visit Pashupatinath, the most famous Hindu temple in the country, located on the bank of the holy River Bagmati. Here, we visit Hindu holy men (Sadhus) meditating, pilgrims bathing and occasionally funeral pyres burning on the ghats.
- After Pashupatinath, we visit Boudhanath Stupa, one of the biggest Buddhist shrines in the world, where we observe Buddhist monks in prayer in the monasteries surrounding the stupa.
- We take a lunch break in front of the Stupa. After a lunch break, we visit another point Swayambhunath.
Day 03: Kathmandu to Pokhara.
- Drive to Pokhara and visit the beautiful city.
- From Pokhara you can see the beautiful Mountains like Machhapuchre, Dhulagiri, Nilgiri.
- You can also do the Boating on the Fewa Lake.
- We will stay overnight in guesthouse in Pokhara.
Day 04: Drive to Phedi and trek to Deurali (2100m/6,720ft): 30 minutes drive, 4-5 hours.
- After an early morning breakfast, we start our adventure with a drive to Phedi and commence our trek to Deurali.
- We walk on stone steps, terraced fields and through villages and forests before reaching Dhampus where we have lunch.
- We continue our walk to Deurali which is a small village beautifully located on a ridge with good views of the Annapurna South, Mardi Himal, and Macchhapuchhare.
- Overnight in Deurali.
Day 05: Deurali to forest camp (2,520m) 6 hours.
- After breakfast we starts our day from Deurali to forest camp.
- On the trail, we walk on plain way for hour, which goes through the road dotted with pine forest.
- Afterward we goes through the rhododendron forest, which makes the whole forest area extremely colourful.
- Our trail passes through lush forest dotted with the red rhododendrons.
- The trail is very quiet until we reach near the forest camp.
- We will take rest and explore the area which is also known locally as Kokar.
- Overnight at teahouse.
Day 06: Forest Camp to low camp (2970m): 6 hours
- We continue to walk through dense forests admiring Nepal’s rich biodiversity.
- We will ascend through the woods to our campsite where eye-catching views of Machhapuchhre and Annapurna will mesmerize you.
- We will spend some time in the evening observing the local lifestyle.
- Overnight in low camp.
Day 07: Low camp to high camp (3540m): 4 hours
- We trek uphill alongside a ridge towards Mardi Himal and Macchhapuchhre.
- The trail continues along the Mardi Himal ridge, the area mostly consists of shrubs with some isolated rhododendron bushes along the way.
- If lucky, we might even come across the Daphne pheasant (national bird of Nepal) on our way to high camp.
- We ascend up to the high camp, which is the final destination of the day.
- The view from the high camp is superb to Annapurna South, Hiunchuli, and Machhapuchhre (Fishtail).
- Overnight in high camp.
Day 08: High camp to Mardi base camp (4250m), return back to high camp: 4 hours
- Our trek to the upper viewpoint we ascend and descend, and sometimes on a steep and narrow trail.
- Our trail passes through pastures and we hike along a narrow ridge before reaching the Upper Viewpoint.
- The view of the Himalayan vista from here is astonishing. We see Mardi Himal (5587m), Annapurna I (8091m), Annapurna south (7219m), Hiunchuli (6441m), Baraha Shikhar (Mt. Fang) (7647m), Tent Peak (5695m), Singhachuli (6501m), Machapuchhre (6993m) and others.
- We trek back to the high camp for an overnight stay.
Day 09: Trek to Siding village (1,750m) 6 hours.
- After finishing our breakfast, we will descend all the way through the shady forest, terraced fields and make way down to the upper Mardi River.
- We take a different route in the high camp that takes us to Sidhing instead of going back down to Mardi Himal.
- The different route lets us experience something different and makes our trek exciting.
- Siddhing offers a quiet stay for trekkers as it is tucked away from the busier trails.
- Siding is a traditional Nepalese village and still very much away from the busier modern tourist treks and it is likely you will stay at a homestay.
- It is a wonderful cultural experience finding out more about village life and you will probably eat dhal baht in the evening with the family in their kitchen.
- Overnight in Siddhing.
Day 10: Trek to Lumre and drive to Pokhara.
- After an early breakfast, we walk towards Lumre.
- On the way from Siding, we will pass the villages of Kalimati and Ghalel.
- Finally reaching the road head near Mardi Pul village where we begin our drive to Pokhara.
- Overnight at Pokhara Hotels.
Day 11: Back to Kathmandu.
- Morning we will take a bus back to Kathmandu.
- Will arrive approximately at afternoon.
- At evening complimentry dinner form Advenzee.
- Airport pickup and drop services on a private vehicle
- Accommodation in Kathmandu valley as per the itinerary with complimentary breakfast
- Kathmandu - Pokhara - Kathmandu transportation by tourist bus
- Accommodation in Pokhara as per the itinerary with complimentary breakfast
- Pokhara - Kande and Nayapul - Pokhara transportation by private vehicle
- Meals on full board [Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with 3 cups of hot drinks] during the trek
- Accommodation on tea houses during the trek as per the itinerary
- Experienced English speaking, government licensed and ministry of tourism trained trekking guide with meals, accommodation, salary and insurance
- Assistant trekking guide for groups over 6 people with meals, accommodation, salary and insurance
- Down jacket, four seasonal sleeping bag, duffel bag and trekking map (down jacket and sleeping bag are to be returned after trip completion)
- Comprehensive first aid medical kit carried by the guide
- Necessary paper works, all government and local taxes
- Complimentary welcome or farewell dinner in Kathmandu (Optional)
- Personal nature expenses (bars and beverage bills, hot showers, telephone calls, laundry, titbits etc)
- International airfare, Nepal visa fees (two passport photographs), travel and medical insurance, emergency evacuation
- Costs arising from natural calamities, mishaps or anything beyond our control ( Costs are not refundable and transferable if you leave the trek voluntarily and want to return from the trek
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhara ( also in the case of early returns and late departures than scheduled itinerary )
- Porters can be purchased separately if needed
- Services not mentioned in 'Services Includes' section ( Please ask us if you are confused about any services )